CATCAR is a cross-border cooperation project, innovative in the field of intangible heritage. The goal of the program is to make the Carolingian world (8th-10th centuries) accessible to all thanks to new technologies: multimedia content, digital mapping, gamification tools and other augmented reality artifacts. This historical period prefigured the construction of the current European Union.
Catalonia has one of the richest documentary collections in Europe for this period. CATCAR will create an open access virtual platform and other digital innovation products that will recreate the society and landscape of Carolingian Catalonia.
CATCAR’s objectives are:
- To preserve the Carolingian documentation in digital format, an essential intangible heritage to know the origin of the present Catalonia and the construction of Western Europe.
- To transfer the documentation into tangible, didactic and playful assets, which allow to make history, and specifically the one related to the Carolingian period, an attractive and understandable contribution, for classrooms and also as an alternative of cultural leisure.
- To make all this documentation accessible to everyone interested in this historical period.
- To put to work this documentation, until now of restricted access, to extend studies in anthropology, geography, economy, statistics and other social disciplines. The results of these works will be extensible to current problems and challenges such as climate change, the appearance and disappearance of cultures, social mobility or geo-meteorological accidents, themes of special interest for territorial planning managers.
- Promote and develop links and synergies between the public and private sectors, research centers, professional centers and digital fabrication workshops in order to facilitate the transfer of knowledge.
This project is 65% co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) under the Interreg V-A Spain-France-Andorra Programme. The objective of POCTEFA is to strengthen the economic and social integration of the border area Spain-France-Andorra. Its aid focuses on the development of economic, social and environmental activities through joint strategies in favor of sustainable territorial development.
For more information :